For me at least, seeing my progress on some sort of tracker or counter gives me a motivational high. I use Goodreads to track my challenge, and most of my friends participate, too, leading to playful competition that can add to your motivation as well. I know, blasphemy!
It may sound like a word problem from math class— If Sally reads two books at once for 4 hours, how little will she remember the plot of each? And…it helps you avoid getting tired of reading one book straight through. In fact, I have a specific system for reading many books at once. Nearly all of my books come from two places.
Why we sabotage our creative minds
So, since I seemed to have a bunch of physical books and ebooks at once, I always read one physical and one ebook at a time. During the day, I carry my library copies around to class, enjoying the feel of paper in my hands. At nighttime, I can lie on my side and read from my Kindle, loving that my page fantasy novel weighs as much as a chapbook. Poetry books are great for a quick read to get you back into the mood for literature.
What If Women Could Only Say 100 Words Per Day? This New Book Imagines Exactly That
Graphic novels give the mind a break from blocks of text and are a diverse, expanding genre. Young adult novels are fantastic for solid, page-turning fiction. You just know whatever YA dystopia you pick up is at least going to have a dope love triangle and a strong female character. And I wanted to prove something to myself.
This lead to me rushing through novels I should have taken the time to enjoy. All I could think of was getting to the next page, to the next chapter, to the next book, not about what I was reading and how much I loved literature. My goal is for me to remind myself to make books a priority for myself and my life.
15 Novels That Take Place in a Single Day - Electric Literature
It reminds me if I want to achieve something, I can. Okay, okay, enough with the cliches about reaching your goals. I know. I loved every second of it. I hope this helped book two become richer as a result. I was setting my alarm for 5. I kept my characters so close to me while I was writing that I felt a constant pull to get back to them and move them forwards, and I was utterly absorbed throughout the entire process.
My first readers were my mum, older sister and niece, and they all told me that they found it moving.
- Integrability Theorems for Trigonometric Transforms.
- How to Write a Novel in 30 Days - No Mental Breakdowns Required;
- Robert Griffin III: Athlete, Leader, Believer?
- The Best Hour of the Day..
- Drugs: From Discovery to Approval, Second Edition.
- Subjectivity in Asian childrens literature and film : global theories and implications.
- Second novel series: Isabelle Broom on writing two books a year | Katie Marsh.
Different, perhaps — but the second outing is always going to feel like a less daunting task. I learned so much during the process of publishing my first novel and I had far more confidence in my ability going into this one.
- The 9-Minute Novelist.
- Character Worksheets!
- Reuse Methodology Manual: For System-on-a-Chip Designs!
- Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh review – an odd double of Plath's Bell Jar?
- Every Day by David Levithan, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®;
I also know that I can put my hand on my heart and say that I wrote the best book I could. I just hope people enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. How long did it take you to write? How does the style and subject matter compare to your first novel?
- The Rhetorical Analysis of Scripture: Essays From the 1995 London Conference;
- 60 Things To Do When You Turn 60. 60 Experts on the Subject of Turning 60.
- The Five Day Novel — Justin Tadlock.
How did the experience of writing it compare to your first novel? What did you love or hate most while writing it? What went well?
What went badly?